WAAC’s Integrated Support Services team provides a range of services, support and advocacy for people living with HIV who reside outside of the metropolitan area.
Through liaison with rural and remote GP’s, population health units, Aboriginal community-controlled health organisations and other human services organisations, we ensure that the needs of PLHIV are met through long established mechanisms of collaboration, multidisciplinary approaches and innovative practice.
Case Management Support
The Integrated Support Services Case Management team can provide a suite of support, advocacy and referral services, including:
- Multidisciplinary liaison with metro HIV clinician team for support and attendance to appointments whilst in the metro area.
- Support to access welfare assistance via the ‘Bequest Funds’ and the ‘HIV Emergency Relief’ funds (Criteria apply).
- Advocacy, support and relevant referrals with issues regarding housing & accommodation, Centrelink, allied healthcare, immigration and legal.
HIV Positive Peer Support
The HIV Positive Peer Education Officer provides a range of support and services for PLHIV residing in rural and remote areas of WA:
- Intake of referrals for PLHIV from GP’s, Clinicians, Population Health Units and other health and community-based organisations.
- Telephone peer support for people who do not wish to access our phone counselling services but would like support to address issues around social isolation, disclosure, privacy and confidentiality in small communities.
- Information and support about, newly diagnosis, treatments, access and referral to HIV clinician or GP services, disclosure, stigma and discrimination, employment, travel, insurance and any other issues PLHIV present with.
WAAC’s counsellors provide free telephone counselling for PLHIV who reside in rural and remote areas of WA:
- Intake of self-referral, referrals from rural and remote based clinicians and health workers, metro HIV clinic support teams and other community-based organisations.
- Scheduled sessional arrangements which meet the needs of rural and remote PLHIV.
- Face-to-face counselling sessions while PLHIV are visiting Perth.